Was there ever a personal experience had a profound impact on you as a practitioner?
In today’s episode, Mandy Chamberlain, MOTR/L, occupational therapist and fellow OT podcaster, shares how an unexpected accident shaped her perspective as an occupational therapy practitioner and instilled in her the importance of family dynamics within the rehab process.
Mandy details how she navigated this experience as both a family member and as a healthcare provider. She also shares pivotal advice that she learned and how it has influenced her as an OT practitioner.
Sarah and Mandy discuss:
- Mandy’s sister’s accident
- Her experience finding her role within her family as a sister/daughter and healthcare professional
- Recognizing the importance of family dynamics in the rehab journey
- The tension she experienced during rehab between expectations and reality
- Her role between the doctors, nurses, therapists, etc and her family
- The pivotal moment with her sister’s OT
- Navigating her role from a personal and professional standpoint
- The ripple effect of traumatic accidents and rehabilitation on families
- Knowing when and how to make appropriate referrals
- Advice for therapists working with people & their families who have experienced a brain injury
- Advice for families and caregivers going through an acquired accident
- Where her sister is now
- The one thing she wished she knew during the time of the accident and initial rehab journey
- Traumatic Brain Injury: Unmet Support Needs of Caregivers and Families in Florida: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3866264/
- Seniors Flourish
- Website: seniorsflourish.com
- Podcast: seniorsflourish.com/categories/podcasts
- Learning Lab: https://seniorsflourish.com/learninglab/
- If you have gone through anything similar, you can email Mandy at: firstname.lastname@example.org