During the middle of fieldwork, students and their supervisors complete the midterm evaluation and discuss progress over the first half of the student’s placement. They address any areas that need continued growth and set goals for the student to successfully complete their level II fieldwork. The students begin managing full caseloads and taking over responsibilities necessary for entry level practice.
This is the third episode of the OTA student series where we follow two occupational therapy assistant students Ijeoma Ikpeze and Chantal Sendall throughout their last level 2 fieldwork placements. In this episode, the girls share how their midterms went, what their schedules look like now, as well as assess their feelings as fieldwork is ending.
Chantal, EJ, and Sarah discuss:
- Their current feelings heading into the last 2 weeks of fieldwork
- Feelings about midterm scoring
- What going through the midterm looked like
- Importance of self reflection during fieldwork
- What their day-to-day looks like in fieldwork
- The importance of having other students with you on fieldwork
- Practice supervision for OT and OTA students
- Reflections on expectations and managing the role of the student
- Becoming your own therapist and not just an imitation of your supervisor
- The last two weeks of fieldwork and beyond
- Finding a job as a new grad