Episode 66: It’s No...

Notifications
Clear all

Episode 66: It’s Not Just Joint Pain: Occupational Therapy’s Unique Role in Arthritis Life with Cheryl Crow  

Sarah Putt, MA, OTR/L
(@sarahot4lyfe)

Here are some of my takeaways from this episode ( https://ot4lyfe.com/66 ):

• The rheumatoid arthritis journey
  • Implications of RA symptoms on all areas of life
  • Thinking outside the box

What were your takeaways?

2 Replies
CherylCrow
(@cherylcrow)

Thank you SO much for sharing your takeaways, Sarah! 

Well, when listening it to again, I have to say my takeaways were more around the idea of "medical gaslighting." First I want to specify that doctors gaslighting is different than abusive gaslighting because the doctor is not intentionally making the patient question their reality as an abuse tactic, but rather they encourage the patient to question the patient's reality due to their true belief that the patient is "not sick" because "the test results are normal" or whatever evidence they are going from.

It's just a huge problem in the medical system...of course, some people are the "worried well," or people who are not sick but believe they are. However the others are actually sick but are being told they are not. How can we help and serve these people, who experience real trauma from this experience? It's such a complicated issue. I think that just helping providers become *aware* of this phenomenon is such an important first step.

Thank you again, Sarah, for giving me a platform to share my story! Much love to everyone who listened! - Cheryl Crow, founder of Arthritis Life

1 Reply
Sarah Putt, MA, OTR/L
(@sarahot4lyfe)

@cherylcrow thank you again for coming on the show and sharing your wealth of knowledge on this topic. Appreciate you chiming in with your own takeaways from the episode and all the hard work you do 😀