OT school is over. All assignments have been turned in, fieldworks have been completed, and graduation has come and gone. The transition from OT student to new grad OT is a busy time, full of challenges, learning, and pushing oneself outside of their comfort. Jordan McCauley, OTR/L joins the show today to share his journey from finding out about the occupational therapy profession, to his time as an OT student in the classroom and during his fieldwork, and then to his current role as a new grad occupational therapist.
He discusses how he balances life with fieldwork and studying, challenges that he faced during his OT program, and the importance of having a community around him to support him through this process. Listen to the very end of the episode to hear about his amazing capstone project working in Guatemala.
Sarah and Jordan discuss:
- Today is a big day, why is that?
- Experiencing back to back fieldworks
- When did he find out about OT?
- How the Level 1 Fieldworks were integrating within his program
- One thing he wished he knew going into his level 2 fieldworks
- Realization of balancing life with fieldwork
- Challenges he faced during his rotations
- Managing self-care
- Resources for Level 2 students
- Importance of community
- OT Exam study resources
- What’s next for him?
- His capstone project trip to Guatemala
Find more Resources here: https://ot4lyfe.com/resources/
Follow Jordan on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jordanot_/